Author Topic: Social Anxiety  (Read 1328 times)

Sandy

Social Anxiety
« on: June 24, 2013, 08:12:43 AM »
Why am I so much better if I go places by myself in my own car then when I'm when friends or even family? Am I always going to have to avoid others to feel good? Your forum and blog have always helped me but can this social problem ever be overcome for someone like me?

DrFreedman

Re: Social Anxiety
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 02:10:13 PM »
Dear Sandy,

The reason you feel better when you go places alone is because you tell yourself you are "safe" and your body is reacting to the message it is receiving. You are on guard when with others for fear of embarrassing yourself. We are what we tell ourselves we are all day long. This is why one always feels relief when coming home or jumping into their car after a fearful episode outside the home.

It's not about avoiding others but learning to turn off the danger response that is automatically occurring. Once you learn how to do this you will feel fine wherever you are or whatever you are doing. It gives one a true sense of power to be able to achieve this and it's not difficult at all. Feeling in control of your body's reactions enables you to be with friends, family and others without the intrusion of anxiety symptoms.

You certainly can overcome this whenever you are ready to learn a few simple and effective coping skills.

Call my office for further information and I'll be glad to speak with you.

Best wishes,

Dr. Ronnie Freedman
Anxiety and Depersonalization
http://www.ronniefreedmanphd.com
Office Phone: 215-635-4700
Office Hours: 10:00 AM - 10:00 PM (EST) Mon-Sun.
info@ronniefreedmanphd.com
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 02:12:04 PM by DrFreedman »