Author Topic: Alcohol Question  (Read 1744 times)

Adele

Alcohol Question
« on: May 22, 2010, 11:21:28 PM »
On Friday night I went to a graduation party and drank red wine with my friends. I nearly never drink but when I do I take only a sip or two. This time the wine was very smooth and I drank nearly a half glass of wine with some food. This is a lot for me. Within 20 minutes my heart began to beat stronger and faster. It really felt like anxiety and I became upset. I thought alcohol was a DEPRESSANT!!! It worked like caffeine on me. I did calm down and feel calmer by an hour or two but I will not drink again if alcohol stimulates me so much. I know I am sensitive but this was scary. So is it a depressant or a stimulant. Can't wait for your answer.

DrFreedman

Re: Alcohol Question
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 01:00:38 PM »
Dear Adele,
Interesting question and it is often confusing to many. Alcohol is both a stimulant and a depressant. How can it be both? Well, the answer is very simple. It initially acts as a stimulant, causing the adrenal glands to release the chemical adrenaline into the blood stream. Adrenaline triggers increased heart rate, increased metabolic functions and more often than not, increased feelings of anxiety and/or panic. Alcohol then becomes a depressant, as the body metabolizes the substance, after the temporary boost of energy. It then shifts into the down spiral of drowsiness and fatigue.

It's interesting to note that other factors will often lead to palpitations. Dehydration is often the catalyst for heart palpitations. Therefore, be sure to drink more fluids in warmer weather to avoid this occurrence. Too much refined sugar, nicotine and caffeine will also create similar reactions.

Best wishes,

Dr. Ronnie Freedman

Anxiety Busters, Inc.
http://www.anxietybusters.com
drfreedman@anxietybusters.com
Program Order Line: 1-800-670-HOPE
In Office and Telephone Counseling Line: 1-215-635-4700
10:00 AM - 10:00 PM EST  Daily
Anxiety Busters Program
Depersonalization Recovery Program

In-Office and Telephone Counseling Sessions
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 01:03:05 PM by DrFreedman »

Adele

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 05:24:54 PM »
This information is so helpful to me. I never knew this about alcohol and being so worried about anxiety it cleared up my anxiousness so much. I thought I was sick when it happened and I've been worried up until the time you answered me. Thank you for the informative explanation! I'm much more relaxed ever since reading it. You do such good work. I love this forum too. I appreciate it!

Scott

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 10:14:59 AM »
This happens to me all the time. I never knew what it was or meant. Thanks Dr. Freedman for a solid explanation. At least I know what causes this feeling. Good info on this forum. I use it all the time.