Author Topic: Question for the people who recovered from DP/DR  (Read 19990 times)

macvxx

Question for the people who recovered from DP/DR
« on: December 08, 2008, 05:42:58 PM »
Hi-

What does recovery feel like?  How do you know you are recovered?  Does it happen just in a flash or is it a gradual process?  or is it different for everyone?  Have you used an anti-anxiety med to get there (to help)?  Please start to post your experiences to help us still suffering from this awful feeling (DP/DR)everyday.

jazzy28211

Re: Question for the people who recovered from DP/
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 08:53:20 PM »
I have this and I had it once ten years ago, but it was mild and went away on it's own and I didn't even realize it until it came back about 5 months ago. This time it is/was much worse and I can tell you for the majority of people that have recovered it is a very gradual process.  I am taking my time(or trying to) with my recovery, not pushing it to go away, but to let it go on it's own and not worry about it. I absolutely know that this is so much easier said than done, but with practice and commitment you will get to a point where it does not scare you anymore and so very slowly it goes away.
My mom also had this and she said that she doesn't remember it going away at all, it's just so gradual that you actually forget about it.
I hope I helped at least a little:)

macvxx

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 12:57:37 PM »
Thanks Jazzy-

So would you say it get's better everyday?  Did you use any meds to help?  Would you say a year or years to recover from this?

Thanks

jazzy28211

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 04:57:25 PM »
I can't say that it gets better everyday because it is very up and down. I can say that you will not feel better in the moment when using the tools to get better, but you can look back after a while(weeks, months) and say hey that part of it isn't here anymore. I will not put a time limit on my recovery because I have learned that by doing that it puts pressure on you and that just slows down the progress. What you have to do and I know that this is not easy at all, but you have to accept all feelings/sensations associated with this symptom and that is all that it is, don't make it out to be this big bad monster(which I did for a long time), you have to say that it is just a symptom of high stress. From what I have learned if you have had high stress/anxiety for a long time(me since I was a child, no trauma though), all of those stress hormones add up and it takes your body a long time to heal or get back to normal meaning months not days or weeks. I didn't say that to scare you, but if you say to yourself, it will take as long as it takes, that kinda takes the pressure off. Here is an example of what I do when I get a really bad a dp moment, say I'm talking to one of my kids and all of a sudden I check in and I can't feel who I am(dislike this feeling very much), this really used to frighten me, still does but to a very less extreme now, but now I say to myself that it is just my memory and high stress levels and this will go away as long as I keep calm.  That is what your job has to be right now, as hard as it will be, but you have to keep yourself calm and use statements like the one I just mentioned. Acceptance is key, you have to keep going about your business and treat this symptom like it is a big fat bully that will not leave you alone. The more you ignore this bully the more he will stop bothering you. Don't try and push the bully away, that just makes him more mad, just kinda say so what and accept him.  The more that you do this you will notice your symptoms start to fade at least to a tolerable level which is basically where I am at right now, but it took me alot of practice to get to this point and you can do it to, just keep believing in yourself.
Sorry this is so long but I have one more piece of advice that I just learned recently, please remember that you will have bad days/moments. For a long time(and I think this is what was holding me back) I would have some really good days, dp was still there, but I was handling it. Then bam I would have a really bad day or it seemed like it was just getting worse and I would panic and think that I was back to square one. This is not true though, with anxiety recovery it is like 3 steps forward and 2 steps back and you have to accept these bad days just as easy as you accept the good. It is so easy for us to accept these good days, but when the bad ones come we tend to make it worse by worrying more, instead you need to accept these days and moments as part of your recovery. Everyone is capable of recovering from this, there is not different types of dp, just different severity's.
That turned out really long, but I hope it made sense.

jazzy28211

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 05:00:31 PM »
Oh I forgot to say that I'm not on any meds, I tried an anti-anxiety med but it made me so tired and with 5 kids I just cannot function like that. We all have the power within us to keep ourselves calm as hard as that may be sometimes, but it does get better and easier.

macvxx

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 06:04:46 PM »
Thanks Jazzy-

That really hit home for me.  I'm actually at the point in my life that I would like to start a family and I'm freaking out that I will not be able to handle being pregnant or handle being a mom because of the Dp and dizziness.  But all my life I have wanted to be a mom.  I will be 35 yrs old in March and feel my clock ticking VERY loudly in my ear.  It's like I'm waiting until I get better to start trying for kids.  Or is that the wrong way to think about this, and just continue with my life no matter how this DP feels?

DrFreedman

WAIT A MINUTE!
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2008, 07:26:40 PM »
Dear macvxx,
YOU HAVE IT BACKWARD!

Like all phases of anxiety, which includes depersonalization, you have to feel the fear and do it anyway. You are waiting for it to disappear in order to move forward and this is the incorrect approach.

You are, in essence, treating this as an illness (which it is NOT)...waiting for the "cure" to take place.

macvxx

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2008, 03:45:04 PM »
Thanks Ronnie-

I know what you are saying makes a lot of sense.  

Anyone else have some advice on DP/DR recovery?  And what their recovery experieces have been?

jazzy28211

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2008, 05:03:56 PM »
"Or is that the wrong way to think about this, and just continue with my life no matter how this DP feels? "

This is exactly what you need to do. I didn't have DP while I was pregnant, but I do know that it is all that I could think about.  I have five kids and even on the fifth, I still would read every pregnancy book that I had and read them everyday. If my husband didn't have a vasectomy I would probably be pregnant again,lol. Try to live your life the way that you would if you didn't have this symptom. I know it feels horrible, but what I try to tell myself is that I have a choice, I can choose to let this run my life and have anxiety on top of it, or I can go about my day with full acceptance. I had a thought last night and that was the only way to achieve full acceptance is to say to your DP, if you stick around for the rest  of my life I don't care, you can follow me around, you can make me feel like crap, but I am not going to give you the time of day anymore. You don't need to hear any recovery stories, many people recover from this all of the time and each and every one of them have recovered the same way. My mom even had this symptom and she told me that she doesn't remember it going away, it just went. She said it was at the same time that she got involved with the school system and that filled her day with something else.
We can do this it is just going to take time:)

Sammielou

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2008, 06:29:29 PM »
Sorry you are going through a difficult time.
When I first had DR I thought for sure there was something wrong with
me or that I was loosing it! I understand the fear and the need for it to go away!

A few things that I believe helped me were
Omega's
Rest
Exercise
Eating well!!

Also try to UNDER react to what you are feeling
stop trying to figure it out
researching it etc.........change your focus
when the feeling come KNOW THAT YOU ARE OKAY
AND THAT IT WILL PASS
when the feeling comes begin to change your thinking around it
and then you will begin to react differently
your mind and body will begin to calm down
the anxiety and dp/dr will slowly begin to lighten up!!!
I hope this helps a bit.
I feel strongly about the Omegas, they really helped!!

Wishing you the best!

Sammie : )

macvxx

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2008, 08:56:22 PM »
thanks so much for your advice Sammie and Jazzy

Sammie- how do you get your Omega's?  Just through fish or do you take a vitamin?

Sammielou

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2008, 10:08:41 PM »
macy

i take it in pill form
i buy them from my doctor they are pharmeceutical grade.
if you can, pm me or email me i will give you the brand name
they are in many health food stores.

my doctor wanted me to take them three times a day but i only take one before bed.
they are also benificial for your skin as well as many other things : )

the dp/dr will go away!!!
what brought it on?

my worst symptom in the last two years has been dizziness : (

best,

sammie : )

Carryl

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2008, 10:54:39 PM »
My internist told me it was more of a mind thing. He said it could be linked to perimenopause or even menopause. I didn't feel good when I took omegas. My gastro guy told me not to bother if I was taking them for dp. He said more or less what the internist said. It's a mind thing. I stopped worrying about it, found this program and it left just like it came. It's whatever you believe. Dr. Freedman is right. If you tell yourself something long enough whether good or bad eventually you will believe it.

Carryl

macvxx

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2008, 09:01:55 PM »
Hi Sammie-

Well the first time I got DP bad was when I was 22 yrs old after I smoked pot.  It was awful!  I went on celexa a few yrs after that because I was getting bad panick attacks and that seemed to bring back the DP.  I was on Celexa for 9ish yrs and I went off off the meds this Sept (took me 6 weeks to get off) and I had a REALLY bad panick attack and the DP was full blown.  It's been a couple months now, and I struggle with going back on meds or not.  But my main goal is to get pregnant.  So I have Carryl comment about DP being a Menopause symptom is not true.  My husband and I are talking about starting to try, but I keep having really bad days, feeling like my skin is crawlling and I get so dizzy.  I just fear that once I have a baby, I will scrumble and just be in bed and not be able to function.  I know these are all fears, but I'm so scared of not feeling well and trying to care for a baby.

What brought on your DP?

Thomas

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2008, 08:39:26 AM »
I didn't have dp until I took an antidepressant. Brought it on bad. Took many years to recover. This is the only site that has a firm grasp on dp and how to recover. Omegas have nothing to do with it so don't waste your time. Don't know where these ideas come. Kind of laughable.