Author Topic: Scared About My Health  (Read 2781 times)

Allison

Scared About My Health
« on: November 20, 2007, 10:49:10 AM »
Why am I so worried when I get sick? All my anxiety symptoms come back and I think I will never be better. Sometimes I think I have something more serious than it really is and get depressed. Why am I like this? I want to stop being so afraid of everything in life.

DrFreedman

Re: Scared About My Health
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 07:46:47 PM »
Dear Allison,
This is because you are mildly sensitized and even the smallest symptom is experienced in an exaggerated way. When reactions are magnified like this they appear greater than they actually are...and a tired mind defines them as dangerous or harmful (which you know deep-down is not the case.)

Those with anxiety seem to see situations as "black or white" and often fail to notice the "gray" area. Not everything that occurs is one way or another. In fact, you'll find most things are in the gray (in-between) area. Life becomes easier to deal with when you lighten up and try not to over-react. STOP yourself when you become upset and fall prey to "black or white" thinking. Rethink the situation and force yourself to see the middle ground. You'll become more relaxed and less reactive when you do.

Last but not least, allow yourself to be human. We all have our failings and shortcomings. Those with anxiety seem to have the top five worries going on in their heads. When you acknowledge this cycle, it will diminish. Don't beat yourself up for it, instead accept that you are temporarily sensitized and MOVE ON. Don't dwell on this as it is a small blip on the screen of your life. Get back in the game and give yourself permission to err and also keep going on.

Give me a call if you need further information!

Best wishes,

Dr. Ronnie Freedman
Anxiety Busters, Inc.
ANXIETY BUSTERS BOOT CAMP: ONE-ON-ONE BASIC TRAINING FOR ANXIETY RELIEF
TOLL-FREE: 1-800-670-HOPE