Author Topic: Abusive Relationship Anxiety  (Read 1759 times)

Cassie

Abusive Relationship Anxiety
« on: December 03, 2007, 11:27:11 AM »
Hi Dr. Ronnie,

I love to read the posts and your answers knock me out. You have a way of telling it like it is that makes me feel so much better.

Any advice for someone whose relationship has turned abusive? I'm not strong enough to leave yet. It's not physical but more verbal but it's scaring me and I'm not doing well.

My anxiety doesn't have a chance when I'm trying to reason with someone who attacks me on everything I do. I'm tired of it and worried about what he'll say next. I know this anxiety has a reason but what can I do?

Love,

Cassie

DrFreedman

Re: Abusive Relationship Anxiety
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 08:38:02 PM »
Dear Cassie,
Well, you have a few options. Abusive behaviors are not pretty and are almost as painful as physical abuse. You said you are "not strong enough to leave yet." and I take it that this is your primary choice.

I'd like to suggest you begin by eliminating the anxiety ASAP, and then moving on to practicing your communications skills. Check out our Authentic Living Program, which will boost your self-confidence and inner strength in short order. This is a necessary part of recovery regardless of your decision.

I would normally suggest couples counseling IF you had the inclination to stay. I'm not sure this is the case for you. Only you know this.

You always have a choice and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. If you are unhappy where you live, in your job, in your marriage, in your relationships, or with anything in your life, and it bothers you this much, than MAKE A CHANGE. Decide and take the first step now.

The problem is:
- People would rather complain than make a change (change can be painful).
- People would rather do nothing than change (change takes courage).
- People would rather choose the less dramatic change (change is scary).

If your life is not working then you either doing nothing or making the wrong choice.