Author Topic: Driving in Heat  (Read 1548 times)

Skip

Driving in Heat
« on: June 25, 2013, 01:43:21 PM »
Dear Dr. Freedman,

I don't know if I can ever drive this summer. I've had two bad times when I was driving on very hot days. I even have air conditioning in my car but until it cools down I feel high anxiety. I don't want to be afraid of driving but nothing I do makes me feel better in the heat. Will the program get me over this or can you tell me something? :'( I am ordering because I have other anxieties too. If you could explain this hot weather feeling it would help me.

I appreciate it.

Skip
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 01:44:28 PM by Administrator »

Katie

Re: Driving in Heat
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 10:11:59 AM »
I have always felt worse in the hot weather. I have to make sure I have cold water with me and I don't go too far when it's hot out. I have heard others say this too. I always feel less anxiety in the winter. I'd also like to ask Dr. Freedman if there is a way we can feel better in the summer so I won't dread this season.

DrFreedman

Re: Driving in Heat
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 04:49:50 PM »
Dear Katie and Skip,

The reason one experiences heightened sensations during the warmer weather is not difficult to explain. The body, when exposed to higher temperatures, secretes higher levels of cortisol, which creates feelings of irritation and agitation. This is why anxiety levels often rise when one finds him or herself stuck in traffic on a warmer than usual day. Most are agitated when hemmed in during a traffic jam. Tempers flair during warmer days due to this cortisol release. Those who are prone towards feelings of anxiety will react in an anxious manner to this heightened release of cortisol, rather than an irritable fashion. Anxiety trumps irritation in these circumstances and the combination of heat, traffic and anxiousness are the perfect storm to fuel this reaction.

This is why we recommend the following:

- Keeping cool through cotton clothing, air conditioning and hydrating through water.
- Learning and using coping skills that interrupt the intrusion of anxiety symptoms.
- Eating correctly for the weather...lighter foods, lots of fruits and vegetables along with lean protein.

Best wishes,

Dr. Ronnie Freedman
Anxiety and Depersonalization
http://www.ronniefreedmanphd.com
Office Phone: 215-635-4700
Office Hours: 10:00 AM - 10:00 PM (EST)
info@ronniefreedmanphd.com