Author Topic: Stomachaches, Bloating and IBS  (Read 1295 times)

Hannah

Stomachaches, Bloating and IBS
« on: May 13, 2013, 03:30:59 PM »
Hi Dr. Freedman,

I've always wanted to know if you thought anxiety could cause real stomach problems? Sometimes I feel very stressed if something happens during the day that I'm not ready for. I get these feelings in my gut like I can't take a deep breath and then feel instantly bloated and full. Did you ever hear of this and why does it happen if you did? How can I make it stop? It makes me worry and then it gets worse.

Appreciate your help.

Hannah

DrFreedman

Re: Stomachaches, Bloating and IBS
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 03:36:20 PM »
Dear Hannah,

It's entirely a mind/body connection. One can always tell if it's a true stomach illness if awakened with symptoms during the night. If, on the other hand, they are fine until morning it is usually due to their own thoughts, triggering a reaction.

What you are most probably experiencing is the release of stomach acid, preceded by a stressful thought. This may create feelings of bloat and fullness, along with difficulty in taking a deep breath. Naturally your worry only adds to the symptoms.

I suggest you begin using the program package and by doing so will learn how to effectively interrupt these symptoms. Your habit of fighting them is only strengthening them and causing you more pain and aggravation.

Best wishes,

Dr. Ronnie Freedman

Anxiety and Depersonalization Recovery
http://www.ronniefreedmanphd.com
Office Phone: 215-635-4700
Office Hours: 10:00 AM - 10:00 PM (EST) Mon-Sun
info@ronniefreedmanphd.com
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 03:45:33 PM by DrFreedman »