Author Topic: Health Fears  (Read 2842 times)

Quinn

Health Fears
« on: April 29, 2013, 07:31:41 PM »
I can't think of a time of day when I'm not worried about my health. This is a nightmare for me and my family.

I feel sick in some way all the time and each thing is more  important than the last. They're all from anxiety but all the same I feel sick when I have them.

What do I do to make this phobia go away???? I know I'm okay but I think I'm dying with every symptom.

I don't know how to make this go away. I feel trapped forever. Is this so?

DrFreedman

Re: Health Fears
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 12:49:57 PM »
Dear Quinn,

I can absolutely sympathize with you since this is a common complaint for anyone who has ever struggled with anxiety and/or depersonalization. One begins the habit or behavior of constant worry and fear. This sensitizes the mind and body, resulting in exaggerated worries about one health worry or another. The brain's setting for reactivity is temporarily pushed a tad higher, meaning one is reacting in a stronger, more exaggerated way to outside stimuli.

The way to lower this reactivity sensor in the brain is to nurture oneself in the following ways:

- Begin by watching inner dialogue and learning to interrupt the habit of intrusive thoughts. Not difficult to do and this quickly turns off intensified reactions.
- Start using the food/nutrition plan and find out how quickly reactivity drops and relaxation returns. Sleep improves, daily life becomes less of a struggle and symptoms drop in intensity.
- Activity- Begin a daily outdoor walking routine. Spirits will rise, appetite returns and sleep is deeper and more refreshing.
- Understand the nature of the anxiety condition and how it cycles, with fears of health used by the brain as a distraction. Learn how to break this cycle and interrupt the behavior of distraction by replacing it with interests and more productive thought patterns.

Best wishes,

Dr. Ronnie Freedman
Anxiety and Depersonalization
http://www.ronniefreedmanphd.com
info@ronniefreedmanphd.com
Office Phone: 215-635-4700
Office Hours: 10:00 AM - 10:00 PM (EST) Mon-Sun.
Order Line: 1-800-670-HOPE

Quinn

Re: Health Fears
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 09:56:32 AM »
I appreciate your answer. I have to admit I miss meals and eat fast foods all the time. I think scary thought and don't do anything to stop them. I need someone to coach me or tell me what to do because I forget. I have to get myself appts w/you a few times a week or else I forget what to do. Thanks for the good info. It helps.