Author Topic: Breathing obsession  (Read 3114 times)

ivans

Breathing obsession
« on: April 16, 2013, 01:05:47 PM »
I am constantly aware of my breathing. I barely can to distract my mind even for minute. It is like I am afraid that without thinking about my breathing I will stop breathing. When I start being aware of breathing somehow I start feeling I am smothering and cannot breath. I am afraid that I will continue to be aware of my breathing and nothing can help me and will be like a prisoner of my own mind. I became to doubt if my lungs are all right or my heart. My doctor told me that my heart is ok and I have vesicular breathing, without bronchoconstiction. Is there someone here who had or has the same problem.
P.S. I feel that something is choking my throat, sometimes very tightly. It is difficult to sleep well because I am afraid of my breathing. Dear doctor Freedman, dear friend, please give me some suggestions. Should I have something more than Anxiety Busters program? Is it enough? Or may be counselling sessions would be better?

DrFreedman

Re: Breathing obsession
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 11:55:52 AM »
Dear Ivans,

You brought up a very interesting topic since so many experience the identical reaction when dealing with the anxiety condition. This is not unusual at all and once you understand what it is, you will eventually lose your fear of it and it will dissolve.

When one is stressed, their muscles contract. This is the law of resistance and contraction. When this occurs it feels as if the chest does not expand correctly and one even feels as if they are gasping for a full breath. Tension and fear add to this sensation unless one learns how to loosen by letting go of the thoughts that are keeping muscles contracted.

Your lungs are fine, as is your heart. These sensations begin with the habit or behavior of fearful thinking. You need to learn how to interrupt the fearful thoughts and thereby ending the body's response to your worried way of perceiving life. Remember, your body is only responding to your sense of fear. Your resistance to letting go is keeping you trapped.

I will be glad to schedule a session for you and find the time to discuss this in detail. For the time being, know you are not ill, your chest and lungs are fine and you just need to learn how to trade in fearful thinking for a much more relaxed manner of thinking and living.

Best wishes,

Dr. Ronnie Freedman

Anxiety and Depersonalization Natural Recovery Treatment
Office Phone: 215-635-4700
Office Hours: 10:00 AM - 10:00 PM (EST)
http://www.ronniefreedmanphd.com
drfreedman@ronniefreedmanphd.com
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 11:07:44 AM by Administrator »

hopelerner

Re: Breathing obsession
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 10:23:54 AM »
I ordered your program a while back and am so pleased to say I fully revovered and have been anxiety free for a few years.  Thank you!!  About 4 months ago while under tremendous stress I started to experience some DP again.  I had your tools and wisdom so I fought through it until about 2 months ago a new and very scary symptom occured that actually consumes my day to the point I cannot eat or sleep.  I have become very focused on noticing the color red everywhere.  I actually feel so stupid saying this!  Intellectually I know it's a "symptom" but it's very disturbing.  Albeit when I am driving I notice all the red cars, when I'm shopping I notice everyone wearing red, when I watch tv I notice anything red on the screen, when I try to sleep I dream about out etc. Anything clarification or suggestions as to how to break this cycle would be appreciated.  One starts to doubt themselves and their sanity when in a vicious cycle like this. I miss my life...