Author Topic: DP Recovery  (Read 1374 times)

as1909

DP Recovery
« on: March 28, 2013, 07:53:09 PM »
I am happy to say that I have been using methods from your program and they are working very well. Changing my diet has been one of the most beneficial things in recovering from this ordeal. The depersonalization I have been dealing with for the past 3 months was brought on my very first (AND LAST!) use of weed. I feel extremely fortunate that I discovered what was happening to me so quickly and that there are programs like this out there to help with full recovery. Despite my progress, I do have a few questions regarding my experiences.

For the past 5 weeks or so, my entire body has been twitching. The twitching only occurs when I am relaxing or meditating. Also, after it occurs I feel better--more in touch with my body. Is this my body's way of releasing tension or should it be a cause for concern? I assume it is a good thing, but I just thought I would ask about others' experiences.

Secondly, I notice that I am much more paranoid now than I ever was before this happened. I can hear about a rare disorder and worry that I will develop it, etc. I also worry that I have in someway "changed." That when I fully recover, I will be different somehow (personality, sexuality, etc). Becoming emotionally flat is the most terrifying thing I have ever experienced. Seeing friends and family and not feeling anything towards them is surreal and confusing. It makes one question everything about them self, reality, and life. I assume that the excess cortisol in my body is making me more susceptible to paranoid thought?

I never considered myself a highly anxious person, but my body has always been more sensitive to stimuli, especially medicine. I would also consider myself a deep thinker--two things you said are personality traits for those with depersonalization.

Anyways! I just wanted to post this thread to hear what others have experienced and hopefully receive some input from you, Dr. Freedman.

Thank you for your time, and I hope you have a wonderful day! :)

DrFreedman

Re: DP Recovery
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 01:05:50 PM »
When an individual is tense and fearful, the body reflects this signal from the brain. Muscles tighten in an attempt to put into action the "fight or flight" reaction. When one recognizes this response and learns how to calm and relax, the muscles that have been so tightly contracted for so long, begin to loosen. This is experienced as a twitching sensation as the contractions release. Getting into bed at night demonstrates this reaction as one is falling asleep. This twitching sensation is easily recognizable as muscles release tension of the day.

The reason you are more reactive to news about illness and ailments is because the set point in your brain concerning reactiveness to stress is temporarily higher than usual. This is a normal reaction to constant or extended fearful worry. The brain naturally goes into overdrive to protect you from perceived dangers UNTIL you learn how to settle down, at which point it resets back to normal reactions. This is cooling down a brain that is in temporary overdrive.

It's interesting to note that there is always a logical explanation for all anxiety reactions. One who experiences anxiety is just naturally more reactive to all outside stimuli and therefore experiences reactions in a slightly exaggerated manner. Medication is high on that list of triggers.

Best wishes,

Dr. Ronnie Freedman
Anxiety and Depersonalization Recovery Treatment
drfreedman@ronniefreedmanphd.com
http://www.ronniefreedmanphd.com
Office Hours: 10:00 AM - 10:00 PM (EST)
Order Line: 1-800-670-4673
Sliding Scale available so no one is denied help
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 01:07:39 PM by DrFreedman »