Author Topic: How not to cry  (Read 1455 times)

PeaceBear

How not to cry
« on: March 26, 2013, 08:16:57 AM »
I have anxious feelings at times when I have to go places that I might have to talk about
my Mom, who died 2 years ago. I dont like to cry in public or at appointments. So is there
a way to make myself not cry in these situations?

Actually I dont like that I still can cry all day off and on about my Mom. But at least at my
own home its ok.  But in public around people I really dont want to still be crying.  I hope you
have some suggestions! Thank you. Hugs, PeaceBear  :-*

DrFreedman

Re: How not to cry
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 12:12:30 PM »
Dear PeaceBear,

When you are fearful about specific emotions, they seem to become stronger. Whatever we resist, persists.
Therefore, it is often helpful to give yourself "permission" to feel whatever feelings surface. Once they do, you have a choice. You can act on these feelings or work with them in a way that is helpful in the situation.

When sadness surfaces, breathing through the sensation is often helpful while focusing on the present moment. Remembering what your mother wished for you is a very strong support for you in times like these. Above all she would want you to be happy. This is a very powerful way of moving through the barrier of sadness. Anyone you were that close with would ultimately wish for you to continue on with your life and enjoy living it in honor of that person. I am sure your mother did everything in her power to ensure your happiness. Therefore, you owe it to her memory to continue forward, to enjoy your moments and to do this in her honor, her memory, because this is what she would have wanted for you. This is the best way to honor her and her wishes for your happiness in life.

Best wishes,

Dr. Ronnie Freedman
Anxiety and Depersonalization Recovery Treatment
drfreedman@ronniefreedmanphd.com
http://www.ronniefreedmanphd.com
Office Hours: 10:00 AM - 10:00 PM (EST)
Order Line: 1-800-670-4673
Sliding Scale available so no one is denied help

PeaceBear

Re: How not to cry
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 10:56:05 AM »
Thank you very much Dr Ronnie. I appreciate your reply and its so helpful and youre right in that my Mom would want me to be happy and live my life, without being so sad. She is in a good place and not suffering now and is at peace. Hugs,PeaceBear :) :-*