Author Topic: White Coat Syndrome  (Read 2323 times)

PeaceBear

White Coat Syndrome
« on: March 25, 2013, 06:24:15 PM »
Is there anything I can do for white coat syndrome?? Every time I have an appt, especially at the family dr. I feel soo nervous and jittery. When they take my blood pressure its high. Then later its ok. I have tested it many times and its ok..just high at appointments and they say its white coat syndrome. Even when I do deep breathing in the waiting room and repeat relaxing  thoughts and try and relax, it doesnt seem to alleviate the reading when they take it!!!! :-X

DrFreedman

Re: White Coat Syndrome
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 11:39:05 AM »
There is a way out of this syndrome. Going to the doctor's office might not be the most pleasant of experiences for everyone, but it can become easier and not as difficult when approached differently.

Your body is reacting to the input your brain is providing. You are telegraphing fearful messages and the mind is preparing for "fight or flight." Changing the way you view the experience allows you to create more productive messages so the body does not feel it has to be on constant guard.

Remember your purpose:
- You are there to get well and the professional is key to achieving this.
- If it was so terrible, no one would ever go, and you know this is not the case.
- Most treatments are relatively painless and fast.

Learn how to speak to yourself before leaving the house. Everything begins with a thought. Learn how to tell the truth about the situation without adding fearful commentary which only sets off adrenaline and cortisol (stress chemicals) in the body. Above all, learn how to quiet the mind and body by following the steps laid out in the program. This will bring you instant relief, no matter what the situation, and when constantly followed will retrain the brain and cool down its set point for anxiety reactions. It's a fact that medications cannot change this set point but changing behaviors and rewriting a conditioned response can achieve this. You have the power to retrain the brain and bring forth a calmer and less reactive result.

Take care and best wishes,

Dr. Ronnie Freedman
Anxiety and Depersonalization Recovery Treatment
drfreedman@ronniefreedmanphd.com
http://www.ronniefreedmanphd.com
Office Hours: 10:00 AM - 10:00 PM (EST)
Order Line: 1-800-670-4673
Sliding Scale available so no one is denied help
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 11:46:43 AM by DrFreedman »

PeaceBear

Re: White Coat Syndrome
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 10:57:50 AM »
Thank you, this is so helpful. I will remember this for my next appointment. I even had a nurse tell me she has white coat syndrome and that surprised me. I need to get back to my tape course and listen to all again. Thank you for all you do for us and all your help. God Bless!  8) :)