Author Topic: DP  (Read 1490 times)

kam1971

DP
« on: March 22, 2013, 08:59:09 AM »
I know that my latest bout with DP was brought on by some stress at work.  March isn't a great month anyway....the 3rd anniversary of my dad passing away is coming up next week and his birthday would have been tomorrow.  So there is a lot happening, but I don't recall having DP with an unsteady/almost dizzy feeling sometimes.  Probably can be related to sinus issues and neck/shoulder tension.  Add DP into the mix and I'm a mess!  I had a few moments yesterday when I went shopping that I felt practically normal, but as soon as I returned to the office, it came right back.  I know the constant checking in keeps this lingering and I think it's always in the back of my mind.  Just had to vent!  I love this forum, and it's comforting to know you're not the only one with these issues/feelings.

Kristy

DrFreedman

Re: DP
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 02:55:20 PM »
Dear Kristy,

So sorry to hear you are having a difficult time. This is not unusual, as stress often adds to feelings of anxiety and depersonalization. There are ways to counter this accelerated return of symptoms. The goal is to quiet down an overactive brain and bring forth the return of a less reactive mind and body. Here are a few suggestions that might help:

- Exercise- Walking off the tension and stress for a minimum of 20 minutes per day is enough to settle down a mind that has become reactive due to the overload of stress chemicals, namely adrenaline and cortisol.

- Sleep- Although lack of sleep is not the "fatigued mind" we refer to, good sleep habits do help to cool down a mind that is stressed. Using our nutrition plan will ensure a good night's sleep, naturally boosted serotonin levels and balanced blood sugar levels. It's the simplest natural sleeping aid.

- Retrain the Brain- Learning to trade in the habit of fearful thinking for a calmer more realistic way of thinking creates a mind and body that is far less reactive to stress.

I also understand how upsetting anniversaries of stressful events can be in one's life. One may never be able to avoid the difficulties in life but with the proper approach one is able to control their own reactions.

Thank you for your kind words about this forum. I am very glad you enjoy reading and posting, as I also enjoy sharing information with all who post!

Take care and best wishes always,

Dr. Ronnie Freedman
http://www.ronniefreedmanphd.com
info@ronniefreedmanphd.com
Office Phone: 215-635-4700
Office Hours: 10:00 AM - 10:00 PM (EST)
Sliding Scale Available
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 03:00:00 PM by Administrator »

kam1971

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 11:49:20 AM »
Thank you so much for your reply!  It made me feel better, although I still feel completely out of it.  I have tried to distract myself, and I think I am fighting it, so I'm not feeling any relief.  The only relief I get is when I sleep, which I don't have a problem doing.  It's no wonder since my thoughts are racing all the time!  But the minute I'm awake, I start thinking about how weird and disconnected I feel.  I know it's a hole I'm going to have to dig myself out of, but it sure isn't easy!  Another part of my problem is that food is so uninteresting, so I know I'm not eating right.  If I feel any additional anxiety or stress, it puts the DP over the top.  I'm trying not to do that   :)

Thank you again for your time!

DrFreedman

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 11:25:54 AM »
Dear Kam,

It's not about distraction. This just prolongs recovery. As demonstrated in our program, it is more about learning how to go through the symptoms the "right" way, and by doing so you come out on the other side and realize how much power you had over this all along. This is the true path to permanent recovery. The way out is through. Once you apply this method, you lose your fear of the symptoms and they no longer sneak in. It's learning to perceive these symptoms in a brand new way, where they no longer matter. When something does not matter, the fear is gone and so is the behavior.

It's also important to learn how to use activity. Your interest and attention needs to be in a healthy place instead of inward. This promotes the space for your mind to refresh and clarity will return.

Take care and best wishes,

Dr. Ronnie Freedman
Office Phone: 215-635-4700
Office Hours: 10:00 AM - 10:00 PM EST
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 11:27:15 AM by Administrator »