Author Topic: Depressed?  (Read 771 times)

Klara

Depressed?
« on: December 19, 2011, 06:19:05 PM »
This might sound funny but I'm not sure if I'm depressed or not. I have adjusted my life to the anxeity but around this time of year I feel like somethings missing. I used to go to parties and stuff but now I feel safer at home. So I do stay away from social things but underneath I am still not happy. My anxiety is less than it was by living like this but I give up a lot. Maybe I need more. Does this sound like depression?

DrFreedman

Re: Depressed?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 01:36:36 PM »
Dear Klara,

It sounds as if you are experiencing frustration rather than depression and it actually makes sense. You have made sure your life is SAFE from anxiety by using AVOIDANCE. This is all well and good on paper but in reality it means you have sacrificed LIVING your life. There is a far better option that will relieve feelings of depression that could actually be frustration.

Avoidance never works and this is precisely why you feel this way. You have compromised living. Instead it is more effective to turn off the symptoms of anxiety and continue living a normal life, where stress may occur BUT now you have the knowledge to interrupt the reactions. Why give up enjoyment when you have an option? Choose to live, but with the power to live life comfortably.

Sensitization often creates anxiety triggers out of a multitude of things. Therefore, you eventually avoid most of life by using this approach. This is not necessary. It's your responsibility to yourself to learn how to turn off these reactions and face fear head on. This is the only way past fear, through it. Once you learn to experience it through, properly, you have a new way of living. This builds confidence which makes one feel strong and emotionally fit. It is very attractive as well. Picture a life without fear at every turn or thought. This is a life that includes a strong version of you.

Again, do not confuse frustration with depression. Learn to interrupt anxiety reactions, face fear and disarm it and find your life again, the one you've been missing.

Dr. Ronnie Freedman
Anxiety Busters, Inc.
http://www.anxietybusters.com
Office Telephone: 215-635-4700
Office Hours: 10:00 AM - 9:00 PM, EST, Mon-Fri.
Complimentary Telephone Evaluation
info@anxietybusters.com

Klara

Re: Depressed?
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 11:40:40 AM »
I have given up practically everything I love doing. I never realized it until I read your reply! It's like I thought I was doing everything to be free of anxiety but I did put myself in a little corner. THANK YOU SO MUCH! I don't feel depressed since I read this. I know what I have to do. I think I was just too afraid of living so I played it ultrasafe. I feel a little silly even thinking I was doing it right! I would love to speak to you very soon. Is it okay to call sometime this week. I know its holiday time but this is really big for me now.