Author Topic: AC Out and Anxiety Up  (Read 1252 times)

Gregg2

AC Out and Anxiety Up
« on: June 22, 2011, 06:16:02 PM »
Hi Dr. Freedman,

Could something as aggravating as our air conditioning breaking give me massive anxiety? It's been on the fritz for two days and my anxiety is off the charts. I'm mad because our super was supposed to fix it yesterday and never showed. It's hot and muggy with plenty of humidity. I hope this doesn't hurt my recovery. So mad and hope you can lend some words of help my way.

Gregg

Tereza

Re: AC Out and Anxiety Up
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 12:31:41 PM »
I cannot be in the heat without some anxiety either. I dread the summertime because of it.
I have to wait until the car is cooled down before I go anywhere. Maybe Dr. F can explain this. The heat and I do not go well together. It's unbearable and pushes up my anxiety too.

DrFreedman

Re: AC Out and Anxiety Up
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 01:12:33 PM »
When the temperature and humidity rise, so does the release of cortisol levels in the body. This often leads to increased feelings of anxiety and stress, unless one is aware of this and learns to compensate.

Just be aware that one's body is reactive to temperature changes...and other stimuli as well. By acknowledging this and learning how to think differently and retrain the brain you immediately interrupt the reaction and take back control. The weather and other stimuli will no longer throw you off kilter. You will be prepared, no matter what stresses try to interrupt you peace of mind.

Best wishes,

Dr. Ronnie Freedman
Anxiety Busters, Inc.
http://www.anxietybusters.com
Order Line: 1-800-670-HOPE (4673)
Office Telephone: 215-635-4700
Office Hours: 10:00 AM - 10:00 PM  Eastern Time
Complimentary One Time Telephone Evaluation