Author Topic: Unreal and Detached Feelings  (Read 3679 times)

Rae

Unreal and Detached Feelings
« on: November 20, 2007, 05:25:45 PM »
Hi Dr. Ronnie,

I have a question about something that happened to me earlier today but I know it's happened before too. I was sitting at my desk reading a book. The book had all these photographs from the past and showed me the history of my area. I kept picturing how it must have looked back then and lost myself in thinking about it. My phone rang and when I answered it I felt unreal and like I'd been away. I became scared and my heart began beating faster and harder. I worried about it all morning and now am uncomfortable. I can't concentrate on this evening because I can't get this thought that something happened to me earlier on out of my head. Is there something I can do to make this go away? I don't know what happened but it made me feel like I wasn't me. I felt very detached and the room I was in felt unreal. Thanks in advance.

Rae

DrFreedman

Re: Unreal and Detached Feelings
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 07:41:19 PM »
Dear Rae,
There is a logical explanation for this reaction.

When we are in deep thought, or deeply focused on something (book, movie, television show, photographs or even our own thoughts) we become temporarily immersed and block out outside events. This is why it often feels as if we missed passing certain roads when immersed in our own thoughts while driving.

Your sensation of losing yourself and being instantly snapped back by the phone ringing shocked you into reality. The jolt of this was enough to created a release of adrenaline. You jumped and felt sensitized the rest of the day. Everything looked and felt unreal because you were gone (in a sense) temporarily.

It's all clear when you look at it for what it is and not something strange. You added fear of the jolt which means more adrenaline on top of the first initial shock. Now you are fearful and adding more adrenaline every time you think of this.

Let go of reliving this and worrying over it. Remember, memory brings along with it all the sensations to a sensitized person. STOP JOLTING YOURSELF. You had one normal jolt. No need to continue it. All that occurred was normal in the circumstances.

For further information feel free to call me. My TOLL-FREE LINE is 1-800-670-HOPE

Best wishes,

Dr. Ronnie Freedman
Anxiety Busters, Inc.
ANXIETY BUSTERS BOOT CAMP: ONE-ON-ONE BASIC TRAINING FOR ANXIETY RELIEF!

Teri

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2007, 08:37:47 PM »
I seem to have the same problem when I am in a particular place & looking at old photos.

mike a

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2007, 09:02:52 PM »
Teri,

I get that same disorientated feeling planning a road trip in my head. However, last week when this anxiety/stress feeling lifted for some reason and I was feeling very calm. I could not make it happen no matter how hard i tried and actually could not recall how it felt.This week the tension is back and so is the disorientation. I am now totally convinced these weird sensations are a direct result of prolonged tension/stress/anxiety.

good luck,
mike a

Amie

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 02:14:49 AM »
I also get these same feelings of things being different - especially when I go outside to the front or back of house - it feels so different in the morning sun compared to the evening sun.  Sometimes I feel like I don't even know where I am!!  And looking at photographs from the old days as well - it's hard to comprehend that you're at the same place.