Author Topic: Weird topic: Anxiety needing to use the bathroom!  (Read 1687 times)

AngieJ

Weird topic: Anxiety needing to use the bathroom!
« on: January 18, 2015, 04:13:57 PM »
Hi all!

I have a weird connection. I have NO IDEA if anyone else has had this issue, but it seems after 20 minutes after I eat, I get anxiety/panic. Soon after, I realize I need to #2! Strong connection, and I wonder why it's that way...also, if I need to go, and haven't had any anxiety, I can get some if I don't have the possibility to go right away.

Strange, right?

It's like my body knows a "poop" is coming long before I am aware of it, and responds with anxiety. What gives???

~ AngieJ

DrFreedman

Re: Weird topic: Anxiety needing to use the bathroom!
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 01:09:19 PM »
Dear AngieJ,

What you are experiencing is not unusual at all. The stomach and lower digestive tract is known as the second brain. It often reacts to stress and fear. If you experienced this reaction in the past, your mind and body are alert to the possibility of it occurring again. Therefore, whenever you eat something, you are anxiously alert to the possibility of this reaction occurring again. Fear sets off the reaction and the body is happy to respond. Fear ensures continued reactivity.

This is why it is important to be aware of your behaviors and habits since you do have the capability to interrupt them and change the way you perceive situations. This places you in charge of your life, your reactions and your ability to settle down and enjoy the moment. Your body is responding to your fear of what "might" occur. It's time to take back control and make sure you are calling the shots. Learning how to think and interrupt these reactions will once again place you in full control and ensure a calmer, more permanent sense of well-being.

Feel free to call my office for further information. We welcome your calls and questions. 1-800-670-4673.

Best wishes,

Dr. R. E. Freedman
Anxiety and Depersonalization Recovery Treatment
Office Phone: 215-635-4700
Office Hours: 10:00 AM - 10:00 PM (EST) Mon-Sun.
http://www.anxietybusters.com
info@anxietybusters.com

« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 01:11:22 PM by DrFreedman »